Monday, March 24, 2008

It's good to be home

So New Orleans was interesting, to say the least. I felt a bit like I was on an emotional rollercoaster from a few days before I left until today... One reason was because I kept hearing this "little voice" try to tell me something horrible was going to happen during my trip and I wouldn't make it back home. I continually dismissed the voice and did my best to focus on what I was supposed to be learning and doing, but it was relentless. My flight home ended up getting delayed a few hours, so I didn't get back until almost 2 a.m. I didn't realize how much it was all weighing on me until I finally climbed into my own bed next to my husband, and proceeded to weep with relief for a good half hour. Sheesh.

We had relatives visit the next day, then church yesterday, and because I left my computer cord in my hotel room, I had to come into the office today rather than work from home... so it's been go, go, go all week/weekend.

Despite all that, I really enjoyed the conference and learned a lot. There are so many amazing tools out to communicate with people these days... but because there are so many, it means you have to be that much more excellent and strategic in your communications in order to stand out from the crowd -- something I always strive for anyway.

I was also moved by the present conditions of the city of New Orleans, partly from Katrina and partly from a long history of celebrating debauchery and lewdness. I felt so much compassion for the people, locals and tourists alike, who were so obviously suffering and choosing all the wrong ways to alleviate that suffering. I prayed over the city, and specifically the French Quarter, which I had a great aerial view of from my hotel room. I felt Yahweh's great love for the people, and His desire to see them set free. I felt His call to the churches in the area to step up to the plate and meet the needs of the hurting.

There's so much work to be done. It's almost overwhelming, except for the fact that I know we don't have to do it in our own strength. If anything, this trip really brought home to me the fact that there is no time to waste. Every minute counts. We must work hard 6 days a week and then we must rest, and repeat. We're not here to amuse ourselves. Pursuing fun and happiness will leave us disillusioned and empty. But laying down our lives and serving others will prove to be more fun and fulfilling than we could ever imagine.

No comments: