Thursday, January 3, 2008

Here we go!

I always enjoy ringing in a new year... there's something about the idea of making a fresh start, no matter how great (or awful) the previous year was, that just excites me. I feel like I've just been handed a giant new notebook and a set of rainbow colored pens and markers begging to be used, and I know exactly what to do with them. I don't always have this kind of clarity, focus and enthusiasm, so when I do I like to relish it and take full advantage.

One of the things I've realized in the past couple weeks is that my title for this blog -- "unapologetically me" -- is actually meant to be a personal mantra for me for this year. It's time for me to know and understand what it means to be truly and utterly free from guilt and shame... which is not to say that I'm going to go off on a crime spree or other rampage and run over everyone in my path without remorse. I'm speaking of breaking free from the pointless psychological torment that comes from comparing myself to others, comparing myself to images of myself that others have put in my head, making mistakes, being a woman, being a mother, etc., etc. In short, it's time for me to stop wasting time and to finally be the amazingly fabulous and creative and wonderful creature I already am! (Be myself and be happy with who I am.)

This blog may also be the primary tool for me to ensure that I accomplish this goal, because every entry will be an opportunity for me to assess my progress in the journey. I've set other goals for the year that are more specific and easier to measure... things like "get abs and butt of steel", "get out of debt", etc., but I believe that "unapologetically me" is the most critical and the one that will open the most doors for me going forward. I know it's not going to be easy or fun all the time, but nothing that is worth accomplishing ever is. I'm ready. It's time. Here we go!

No comments: