Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sweet Security

Financial security has been something I've been seeking for a long time, sometimes consciously, sometimes not. I grew up in a family that was always broke and always stressed out about it, so it's been very difficult for me to release myself from those feelings... my mentality for most of my life has been "grab as much as you can, before it disappears, and hold on tight!" Pretty much the opposite of what the Scriptures teach.

I've had "Aha!" moments before when it comes to finances, but eventually I'd find myself slipping back into that mentality... work, work, work, get as much as you can and spend it very wisely. But a few days ago I was thinking about how amazing it is to be able to feel safe and secure, pretty much all the time, in the world we live in today. I have friends, coworkers, acquaintances, and neighbors that live in constant anxiety that things are going to fall apart. Another terrorist attack might happen... they might lose their job... a family member might be diagnosed with an incurable disease... these thoughts cripple them and affect their decisions when they dwell on them. Or, more often, they try to numb themselves so they have those thoughts as infrequently as possible... they accumulate more "stuff", get hooked on new TV shows, go to happy hours, diagnose themselves with mental, emotional, or social disorders which require drugs, of course... anything to avoid facing their insecurity.

I'm so happy I don't live this way! I have so much peace, and lately I've just been so much more aware and more grateful of that. But then it hit me... the only area I don't allow myself to experience this peace is in my finances! For some reason, I haven't been able to receive the promises Yahweh has made to me in that one area of my life. It's so stupid. How could I allow myself to be deceived in this way? Well, I'm not having anymore of it. Today I publicly declare that my financial health and well-being is totally and completely in Yahweh's hands. I will never worry or fret about my financial situation again. I am financially secure, now and forever, no matter what any person or circumstance may try to tell me at any point in my life. It's an unchangeable truth that I have finally accepted for myself. Whew!

Now to channel all that energy I'll be saving by not worrying about ANYTHING!

No comments: