Friday, December 21, 2007

Scarlett is a year old today!


My little girl is 1 (going on 10) today. It's hard to remember what life was like before we had her. She was the "surprise" baby after Isaac, who was planned, and she's a constant reminder to me that I'm not as smart as I think I am. Although I was thrilled about having another baby, I had no idea how I was going to handle having my kids so close together. I also never wanted a December baby, because everyone I knew who was born in December hated getting overshadowed by Christmas (weird, but that really concerned me).

But from the day she was born she has been such a wonderful & joyful influence on our whole family, especially me. It was almost as if she knew what I was going through and knew she had been sent to comfort me. I hate to even write that, because I'd never put that kind of responsibility on a child, but it's the best way I can describe our relationship thus far.

Besides being so sweet, Scarlett also seems oddly mature for her age. She already has a well developed sense of humor, and enjoys teasing and outsmarting her big brother. The other day I was watching them sitting on the couch together, and except for their size, I would've thought they were 11 and 12. Scarlett was watching Isaac out of the corner of her eye and whenever he looked away she'd pull one of his curls, then smirk when he yelled at her. Makes me realize how amazing we are as human beings -- if we're that developed at a year old, how much potential must we have, and how far are most of us from reaching that potential as adults?

Anyway, my kids have taught me a lot, and I'm glad things don't always go exactly as I plan them. :-)

1 comment:

Yadira said...

Happy Birthday, Scarlett!! Sorry Joshua couldn't make it to your Sweet 16...lol.