Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Ongoing Process of Becoming One, Part 2

So after I wrote my blog on Becoming One yesterday I went to church, as I normally do on Wednesday nights, and what is the topic of the teaching? Oneness and unity! This sort of thing happens to me virtually every time I spend any kind of quality time in the Word. Often the very next time I come to church, not only are the themes the same as what I've been studying, but usually the pastor goes to the exact same scriptures I've just read on my own. It's awesome, because it's an ongoing confirmation that I'm in the right church and also that I am led by the Holy Spirit.

I need this latter kind of confirmation especially, because I feel like I'm often surrounded by Christians who have these hypersensitive spirits and are always being led to do interesting things, prophesy over people, go to other countries, have/interpret significant dreams, etc. and I'm sitting around like "What about me, God? Do I have any spiritual gifts, or am I just the one who's supposed to keep all these anointed aliens grounded and organized?... That's boring!"

But it turns out I do hear from Yahweh in my own way. It's never audible or mystical for me, although I might want that at times -- it's usually one of those things where you just know what you know. I think I've heard it called an "inward witness" a few times, but it's often imperceptible at the time you have it and you only realize it in hindsight.

Anyway, I loved the message last night because it reminded me that not only are husbands and wives constantly working toward becoming one, but all of us in the Body of Christ are. (And you don't always know who's in the Body, so for that matter we should treat everyone we meet as if we will eventually become one.) I am so thankful for this teaching. I can't tell you how many times I've been annoyed or outright p.o.'d at someone and wanted to cut them off forever, but didn't because of what the Word says. These same people often later turn out to be some of the most precious gifts in my life.

Becoming one is never easy. There is so much junk in our own lives and others' lives that interferes with the process. But if we persevere and continue to choose love no matter what others do to upset us, the rewards are truly magnificent.

No comments: