Thursday, February 14, 2008

Hallmark Don't Know Jack About Love

This blog is going to be a bit all over the place, but for some reason this holiday is stirring up a lot of thoughts and feelings in me this year.

YL Designs
First of all, I'd just like to celebrate the fact that it's already been 21 days since I've had coffee. Woo hoo! I'm proud of myself, this is definitely significant.

But now for the real issues... I've never liked Valentine's Day, even at the most naive and in-love point of my life. It's not that I'm not romantic. Romance definitely has a place in the lives of married and engaged couples. I just hate the fact that this enormous, gaudy, pink flowery shrine has been built to romance, and it's repeatedly forced upon (which is very unromantic, I must say) everyone in the country (and maybe other countries, I don't really know) as if it's the only true indicator of love.

The reality is that at least two-thirds of the planet's population doesn't even have the slightest clue what love is, and Valentine's Day just magnifies this fact. People go into major, months-long depressions over this "holiday", and even make horrible, life-altering decisions over it, believing that just because no one's sending them flowers or chocolates on this particular day they are major losers doomed to lives of solitude and shame unless they do something--fast!

Come on, people.

Love is a beautiful, powerful thing. It means "I will give, I will serve." Here's an even more revolutionary idea: God Himself IS Love. He is the author, the inventor of it, and no one understands it better than He. He's the real thing--far more exciting and energizing than most people give Him credit for. Valentine's day, for the most part, is a pathetic mockery of pure, amazing love. Here are just a few examples of the differences:

Love includes everyone and is eternal.
Romance is exclusive and fleeting.
Love is based on character.
Romance is based on moods.
Love is patient.
Romance is highly impatient.
Love is selfless.
Romance is selfish.

It may sound to some like I just need a good cup of coffee after all (along with an orgasm), but that's not it. (For the record, hubby and I just had a great date and are more in love than ever.) I just want people to see things as they truly are. I want my friends and co-workers and people I've never even met to have amazing marriages and lives, as I do. I want them to experience real love every day, not just for a weekend. I want them to stop chasing lies and stop comparing themselves to faulty ideals. I want world peace - lol!

One more thing--my heart goes out to those who may be having a difficult time on this day. One friend of mine is still awaiting the release of her husband from prison; another is hoping to salvage her marriage which has apparently disintegrated after only 6 months. For them and others like them, I wish I could put a screeching halt to this insensitive and seedy celebration. They don't need another thing to brood about. (And those who are in love don't need to be told what day to celebrate.) But since I can't stop the fabrication, and even if I could, instead I'll do my best to be an example of real love for all the world to see. The truth speaks for itself. I will give, I will serve. Love never fails.

No comments: