Friday, April 11, 2008

A Night at the Women's Shelter

Last night I went with my good friend and POC co-director Kim McCray to do a wellness workshop at a women's shelter in Manhattan. I talked about the importance of drinking water and she talked about live enzymes, which are found in fresh, raw fruits & veggies. We brought little bottles of Fiji water to give out, and Sonya (aka Miss DIVA) provided fruit & veggie trays. We got about 18 women to attend, which is a good turnout.

This was the second time I did a workshop at this shelter, and both times it was fun and rewarding. I was really intimidated the first time, thinking they'd take one look at this baby-faced "rich" white woman and completely disregard anything I had to say. But on the contrary, the women are so receptive to learn and share their experiences. Despite the fact that most of them have been abused and are living in poverty, they have such sweet spirits and smiles. As we shared the critical importance of good nutrition, they expressed frustration at the lack of control they have over what they eat and drink. They have to eat "institutional" food, which they know is not good for them, but sometimes it's all they can get.

I felt a lot of compassion and love for these women, and also a lot of anger for many of the "systems" currently in place that are based on pure greed. All of us are being lied to and cheated on a daily basis when it comes to access to health information and nutritious foods. It made me want to become more active in advocating for changes as I continue to learn more and succeed with the dreams Yahweh has given me.

I'm really thankful for the opportunity Sonya gave us to come in and do the workshop. It was a great experience and a reminder to take the time to see things through others' eyes whenever you can. As the Word says, in all your getting, get understanding.

1 comment:

In The New said...

Being in your company and working with you Rachael is a real joy!