Friday, April 18, 2008

Finally stepping out

I've been a writer for a long time, maybe my whole life. I've also had a dream of writing an original book or screenplay for a long time. When I first came to NYC, in fact, it was partly because of the book publishing industry being so big here. I wanted to get an inside look at how things worked as I prepared to make my mark on the literary world, so my first official non-temporary job was at a book publishing company which shall remain nameless.

Unfortunately I was severely mistreated by my boss there and got disillusioned by the whole publishing process. The art was less important than the bottom line, blah, blah blah. I, too, had to pay the bills, so I focused more on journalism and editing, and moved my more creative writing pursuits to the back burner for a while. Now here I am 12 years later, not only with no book or movie deal in the works yet, but I haven't even completed any kind of a manuscript that I could submit to anyone for consideration. Unacceptable.

About a year and a half ago, I was given the fabulous opportunity of helping my Pastor put together a book on the Hebrew language and the personal name of God, YHWH. I jumped at the chance to sow my time and talents into this book, trusting that my own blockbuster idea would soon follow. It was a 9-month labor of love, but I did it and once it was finished I immediately knew that I had had a breakthrough in the spirit. A little later, I also helped his wife, my other Pastor, with her healing book. More seed sown, woo hoo!

Then a few weeks ago, I again was reminded that I had put a goal out there of winning an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay by 2012 (why not?)... so I realized I'd better get cracking. I asked Yahweh for an idea that would pretty much write itself since I'm so busy... hehe. And instantly he responded with, "Why don't you write a screenplay about Orville's life?" Orville is my soon-to-be-a-household-name husband, and he has had some life. That's perfect! I thought... why didn't I think of that before??? LOL.

So I've officially embarked on my career as a screenwriter at last. The timing of the idea was so perfect, too, because it came right before we left for Florida to stay with Orville's mom. I outlined the parts of the story I already knew on the drive down, then pumped her for information after we arrived. Now I'm researching the best way to write/present the screenplay so that it will get read by the right people. I'm so excited. My husband has overcome so much and Yahweh has been such an amazingly wonderful Father to him throughout his life -- He is truly a Father to the fatherless -- and the world needs to hear this story!

My great American novel or children's book series that puts JK Rowling to shame (no disrespect intended, she's got a phenomenal gift) will be next... so stay tuned. And don't forget to look for me at the 2012 Oscars. :-)

2 comments:

Yadira said...

AWESOME!!! That's exciting news :)

Kelly*Jones said...

I want a cameo playing myself in the movie :)