Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The 7 Deadly Sins: Gluttony

For a long time I pictured gluttony only in terms of how it was portrayed in the Brad Pitt movie... obese slob slumped over in a chair with his face in a plate of spaghetti. I couldn't relate to it at all. But lately Yahweh has been speaking more and more to me about the sin of gluttony and what it really means. Gluttony is simply having an unhealthy appetite, or an appetite for unhealthy things. Given the way almost all Americans eat these days, that makes nearly all of us gluttons on some level.

Raw food expert Paul Nison writes in his book Health According to the Scriptures (thanks, Yadi) that all sickness and disease can be traced back to overeating and under-sleeping. Our society is chronically sleep deprived and dependent on drugs because of it. That I shouldn't even need to explain. But we are also overeating without realizing it.

The Standard American Diet (SAD) consists of enormous amounts of meat, dairy, refined sugar, and processed foods -- all of which have little to zero nutritional value. Therefore eating even very small amounts of these foods will leave us feeling hungry, because we are not giving our bodies what they need. To compensate, we eat more and more, and gradually get sicker and sicker. Eating live enzymes (fresh, raw fruits and veggies) and drinking water is the way to optimum health. The more consistently we eat these healthy foods, the less we will need to consume to feel satisfied and energized. Talk to anyone who's been a vegan, particularly a raw foodist, for more than a few months and they'll confirm it.

But most people rebel against these ideas because the media has them believing that it's all about what THEY want -- "have it your way" "American runs on Dunkin'" and other such slogans are not just marketing ploys, they are powerful declarations that are little by little transforming our society... And although I've made a lot of progress, I still succumb to the deception at times (as I sit here with my coffee that I KNOW I'm not supposed to be drinking and don't even like the taste of anymore... but I got up early to come to the office and it's chilly in here, blah, blah blah). It makes me angry. We need to wake up and smell the papaya (just go with it)!

My body is the temple of the Living Yah. Sickness, disease, weakness, and lack have no place in it. That's the truth, but it's still my responsibility to use wisdom and be a good steward of this house Yahweh has given me. I can declare the scriptures until I'm blue in the face, but if I don't act on the revelation and obey the instructions I've been given it will do me no good. The traditions of men make the Word of Yah of no effect. It's not about what I like, or what my friends are eating or what's convenient. Since when has the Gospel been convenient??

I have an assignment to fulfill and I'm going to fall short or be delayed if sickness and exhaustion are constantly distracting me. I'm not going to wait for a serious problem to manifest in my body before I heed the wise and merciful counsel of the Holy Spirit. I am commanded to glorify Yahweh, not only in spirit but in my body as well. I am to lay hold of the promises I've been given. To deny these things is to deny people access to their Father. To conform is to condemn souls to destruction, or at the very least disappointment and delay. Ouch!

The wages of sin is death. Gluttony is a deadly sin. I repent for being gluttonous in my own way, Yahweh. Forgive me and strengthen me to set myself apart and walk worthy of the calling I've been given.

No comments: