Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Psalm 4:6-8

I've been reading a fair amount of The Message translation of the Scriptures lately, and for the most part I love it. It's the most modern and straightforward of all the translations I've seen, which causes it to hit me in new ways. For example I read this in Psalm 4 today:

Why is everyone hungry for more? "More, more," they say.
"More, more."
I have God's more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day
Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.

This may not be the perfect example of the modern slang in The Message, but it so perfectly captures how I feel whenever I'm out "in the world" or watching TV (which is rare). I so don't care about 99% of what people are talking about and looking for these days. Give me a day alone with nothing but a Bible, Strong's concordance, and notebook and I am in absolute bliss! Or just let me hang with my husband and kids with no agenda but to be together... nothing compares to it. I'm tired of all the world's distractions. They're all lies. The Word is the only truth and it's(He's) all I want.

2 comments:

In The New said...

Rachael, I like the Message translation as well and have used it many times in my studying, it is indeed straightforward and that's what I truly enjoy about it. Lately, I fouund myself thinking that it would be great to get away from the distractions of the world and go somewhere for 30 days, somwhere where I can have a Spa Meditation type vacation, to be restored, just eat Raw Foods and feed on the Word...that would be so cool...that would be all that I would need....then I'd come back restored, refreshed, ready....thanks for sharing, I'm reminded to get out my Message Bible and find what the Word says to my heart.

Kelly*Jones said...

Yo, I've recently started readding The Message too...its dope!